THE MIDWEST MINERALOGICAL AND LAPIDARY SOCIETY (MMLS) is an educational non-profit organization founded in 1956. The Society is affiliated with the Midwest Federation of Mineralogical and Geological Societies and the American federation of Mineralogical Societies. Significantly, MMLS has has been recognized numerous times by the Midwest and American Federations with first place (gold level) awards in the annual All American Club Awards Program.
PURPOSE: The purpose of the MMLS shall be (1) to promote interest in and increase knowledge in the fields of mineralogy, geology. and paleontology, including lapidary and related arts; (2) to publish articles and information pertaining to these fields; (3) to encourage collections and to display specimens in these fields; and (4) to arrange field trips in support of the interests and activities specified.
GENERAL MEETINGS: The third Tuesday of each month, September through June, 7:30 p.m. at the Democratic club of Taylor, 23400 Wick Rd, Taylor, MI 48180. Guests are always welcome!
MEMBERSHIP: Applications for membership may be obtained at any general meeting.
STUDY GROUPS: Special-interest study groups meet monthly, September through June. No additional fees are involved. Study groups are for MMLS members. Currently the following groups are active:
FIELD TRIPS: Several one day field trips and one longer (one to two weeks) field trips are conducted each year. Mostly, these field trips focus on the collection of mineral and fossil specimens at quarries, mines, and other known collecting sites in the United States and Canada. Field trips are restricted to MMLS members.
GEOLOGICAL OUTREACH COMMITTEE: A permanent committee serving in an advisory capacity to the Geological Survey Division, Michigan Department of Natural Resources, and meets with its staff in Lansing and at the Eddy Discovery Center, near Chelsea, Michigan, on a regular basis.
SEAMAN MINERAL MUSEUM: MMLS has pledged support to the A.E. Seaman Mineral Museum at Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Michigan, and its "adoptive" museum, through monetary gifts to the museum's endowment fund and the donation of mineral specimens and services.